Local | Respected | Fearless

Using your co-parent agreement to bring in outside help

On Behalf of | Aug 28, 2021 | Child Custody |

You and your former spouse likely want to do whatever you can to co-parent your child in harmony. Co-parents may write up a co-parenting agreement that describes their vision for parenting their child. This agreement lets you address care issues that could come up and describe how you and your ex will respond to them.

However, there is no guarantee that you and your former spouse will anticipate every matter involving your child. It is still possible for the both of you to encounter a problem you cannot resolve. Fortunately, you can use your co-parenting agreement to address these eventualities.

Bringing in outside support

Psychology Today explains that in the event you and your former spouse deadlock over an issue, you may ask a neutral party to help you come to a resolution. You may specify how this works in your co-parenting agreement. You and your co-parent should have the right to request outside help if either of you feel it is necessary and to seek the appropriate support for your situation.

People who get a divorce sometimes use a mediator to work out the end of their marriage. You may likewise ask a mediator for help in dealing with co-parenting issues. Seeking out the help of a therapist is another option.

Establishing who pays for assistance

You should also go over who will pay for the therapist or mediator you will bring in to help you. The matter of who pays might be contentious, especially if you or your ex is on a limited budget. Generally, the parent who wants outside support will pay for the initial meeting. This might change if the other parent wishes to attend another session.

You and your co-parent may consider other choices like splitting the bill. Another option is to consult a therapist or another professional to help you decide what to put in the agreement. You may discover a creative and helpful way to resolve future disputes.